April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: Penetrol on fiberglass?  (Read 12289 times)

Offline scottydl

• Café Member
Penetrol on fiberglass?
« on: March 06, 2009, 05:15:38 PM »
Hey detail experts... here it is with weather getting warmer and my RV's fiberglass finish looking duller.  Time to do something before camping season begins in full force.  Someone at the RV forum I regularly read mentioned buying & using Penetrol with good results on their circa 1990 RV gelcoat.  It's sold as an additive to oil-based paint, but apparently can be used to rejuvenate fiberglass.  Any thoughts on that?

I impulse-bought a container of Gel Gloss recently too, but will return it if there's something else that will work better.  I did read the recent polishing out a boat thread too, and just want to discuss with as many sources as possible for the best product.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
Re: Penetrol on fiberglass?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 01:50:46 PM »
Hey detail experts... here it is with weather getting warmer and my RV's fiberglass finish looking duller.  Time to do something before camping season begins in full force.  Someone at the RV forum I regularly read mentioned buying & using Penetrol with good results on their circa 1990 RV gelcoat.  It's sold as an additive to oil-based paint, but apparently can be used to rejuvenate fiberglass.  Any thoughts on that?

I impulse-bought a container of Gel Gloss recently too, but will return it if there's something else that will work better.  I did read the recent polishing out a boat thread too, and just want to discuss with as many sources as possible for the best product.

No one ?   

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Obsessive Detail

• Detailing Supply Retailer
    • Obsessive Detail
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 01:56:27 PM »
I've never heard of that product.

I just use Optimum or Menzerna polishes with a rotary on gelcoats.  Really bad and oxidized gel coats require a lot of speed and heat to bring them back.  Usually, you have to use a medium to heavy polish too.

Offline GreyMichFX4

• Café Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 01:57:47 PM »
I have no idea I have sold paint for a few years and I have never heard of anyone using it to revive fiberglass. You could try it on a lower rocker panel and see what happens but I would be leary about putting any solvent based product on fiberglass though.
Good enough never is

Offline scottydl

• Café Member
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 02:13:44 PM »
Some Googling on the Penetrol shows that it's been tried by others, with mixed results.  Dang I just want something easy!  Of course anything worthwhile in life is going to take time & effort, and this is no exception it appears.  I don't have any heavy-duty equipment, just a cheap 10" Wen orbit polisher.  Made in China I'm sure.

I bought it several months ago and actually have not used it yet, so hopefully I can make it work for this purpose.

Offline GreyMichFX4

• Café Member
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 02:25:20 PM »
My dad uses a Ryobi to wax our 20ft Master Craft. You could try Megs Marine and RV line Zaairman has used it on his boat with pretty good luck and I think he was using a PC7424 when he did his boat. I am going to pick up some of this product because our boat is looking a little faded and needs to have the life put back in the black running down the side of it.
Good enough never is

Offline scottydl

• Café Member
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 02:56:33 PM »
You could try Megs Marine and RV line

That's what I'm gonna do.  Enough procrastinating!  I'm looking at in now here on the ADS website.  Time to pull the trigger.   :thumbsiup:

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 04:20:32 PM »
You could try Megs Marine and RV line

That's what I'm gonna do.  Enough procrastinating!  I'm looking at in now here on the ADS website.  Time to pull the trigger.   :thumbsiup:

I like the RV cleaner wax stuff....but I also put Colinite 845 on the rig, its the ultimate protection...lasts most of the year.

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

* Recent Photos

F150

Views: 1
By: hwm3

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal